August 17, 2011

Day 11 and 12: Informative information informing the uninformed.

Ok that title was a stretch, sorry. If you haven't had a chance, check out these sites as they were my guide as to making the final decision to come to Sitmonchai:

http://www.mymuaythai.com/ - my go-to website for Muay Thai in general. Easy to navigate, plenty to look at and some pretty knowledgeable people share their two cents in the comments section.
http://www.muaythaitrainingcamps.com/ - another great site with some awesome visuals. The guy, (guys?) that runs it shoots some awesome pictures, keep good account of their travels and it's got a great read on Sitmonchai.**
www.dirtywhitegi.com - good site that is run by Greg, a guy who's trip to Sitmonchai coincided with the above mentioned website's main man, Michael Galvin's trip. I think that last sentence was terrible English. Anyway, another wicked informative read on Sitmonchai and it's denizens. This site also has plenty of BJJ information, outweighing the Muay Thai about 60/40 but is a great read anyway. Greg is an MMA fighter who has stayed in Rio to work on his BJJ, Thailand for his Muay Thai - an honest martial artist, I'd say.

Onto Day 11: I forgot to mention, Just as quickly as the Norwegians left on Sunday - Doug from America arrived. Turns out, he posts on http://www.muaythailand.com/ as well. Doug also took part in the inaugural Muay Thai Tours put on by Nop of http://www.mymuaythai.com/ fame and fell in love with Sitmonchai his first time day-long visit in May.



Plenty of padwork today, the English guys seem to be picking up as well thanks to all the help they're getting from literally every fighter in the camp! More on that later.

On our afternoon break, Doug, Brendo, Jake 2, Ian and myself headed up to Tesco for the daily pineapple/unnecessary spending trip. Right before crossing the road, Jake 2 notices Kru Mee had parked his motorbike across the road before running into Tesco. Jake 2 takes it upon himself to move Kru Mee's bike behind a truck - in a town that is not used to seeing us vanilla faces, we have one pasty paleface giggling and chuckling while muscling a motorbike that clearly does not belong to him creepily behind someone else's van. I love "taking the piss out." I think I used that right...new terminology the English dudes are teaching us.

Day 12: Poor Yodkhunpon is running with a sauna suit on trying to cut the last few kg's before weigh-ins Friday. Drives me crazy how these guys cut for fights like that but I guess if it ain't broke - don't fix it. Unless it breaks down your central nervous system and puts you at risk for brain and heart failure. I didn't write the book though, I just wonder if maybe their performance would be different if they dieted more than cut water or if the longevitity of their career could maximized - take in account genetics and climate...diet...who knows, maybe they are doing the right thing. I've been in plenty discussions about this back at home. I think figuring out the best diet for yourself is fun as it will be different for everyone.

Kinda dragged ass on pads today as my right foot is pretty rough from kicking with just that leg. I'm just a big bag of complaints lately, huh? Kru Daam kept me enthused none the less and I banged out my usual 5. I'm gonna try kicking with the left leg Thursday I think. Taking Wednesday off to recoup and rest my damn Latisimus Dorsi...or should I say...LATISIMUS DORS-CRY? No, infact, I shant. Trying a little too hard there, Mainini.

Headed to the night market and bought some god-knows-what and ate some things that look like donuts and cornbread and tasted like heaven. I love Thailand treats. In Thailand, it's either hot, coconut-y, breaded, fried or a combination of any of those. Just fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment